12/05/2011

Saving Anton’s Seat:


We have a small shul that comfortably seats 35 guys and 18 women. A few of the seats are three-person couches. Last Shabbat, I sat in the middle of a couch. Anton, siting next to me, was called up for Maftir.
While Anton was reading the Haftorah, Davy arrived, stood before Arthur’s seat and put on his Tallit. Quite obviously, he intended to sit in this apparently empty place.

What should I do? Should I inform Davy that the seat belonged to Anton? I reflected on my own experience. I have often lost my seat while being called up for an honor. Usually I don’t mind, and I just sit elsewhere. On the rare occasions when I wanted my seat back, all I had to do was ask. It seemed wrong, but I decided not to say anything.

Davy sat down in Anton’s seat, and I felt, oh, a little guilty.

When Anton finished the Haftorah, he commenced leading Musaf. He was not going to sit down for the rest of the service. I realized that my agony over what to do had been pointless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home