11/10/2004

Hebrew on the Palm.

I’m a Palm PDA person. My previous (OS3) pda had full Hebrew support. When Palm brought out OS5, I got a Tungsten, a fine PDA except that for some reason OS5 made it very hard to support Hebrew. Eventually - after many many moons – two companies cracked full OS 5 support. It’s expensive, and reasonably so since a lot of work went into developing it. But I’m lucky, on my Tungsten I settled for half a loaf, and got it free.
I use a free document reader called HebDoc. It reads Hebrew palm docs like the ones you can find at Moadon. The company I got it from, Lionscribe, now gives away LionDoc. They also offer partial OS5 Hebrew support for $30, but I think you can use LionDoc without it. I find their unpointed high-resolution Hebrew fonts to be excellent..
Full OS5 Hebrew support is available (just recently) from Penticon for $65 (including an onscreen Hebrew keyboard), or in a $40 read-only form. The PILOC people have been offering full OS5 hebrew support for many months, $60.
I bought Penticon fonts for OS3 after trying them out. They had an interesting way of terminating the trial period: the Hebrew text started reading backwards.
And that’s the Palm Hebrew support I’m aware of. Comments, please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home